Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Swollen Legs, or Edema
ultra mp3 player serial code
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Swollen Legs, or Edema  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

DEEnSC

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)ultra mp3 player serial code

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

40 yr old female, coronary artery disease diagnosed in jan. 97.Now have peripheral artery disease in the legs and possibly in my arms. Had by-pass surgery on right leg and a aortic graft in Jan. of this year. Went back to work three weeks ago and have spent more time in doctors office than a work because of pain and swelling. Still need to have by-pass on left leg but have to get right one stronger first. i am only able to work about five hours a day because of the pain and was working a full time 40 hours before . question is: do you think i can qualify for disablity? I am the sole provider for two girls under 18 and dont/cant wait until i am totally down and out before seeking help. thanks

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 5:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you cannot attend work on a regular basis, if you have to elevate your legs for a long time during the work day, you are disabled. I would suggest filing while you struggle to work. This is tricky, but can be done sometimes. If you have trouble with that, you should consult with an attorney. Take care and good luck.

Lorraine George

Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 2:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband has pyoderma gangrenosum (severe leg and feet ulcers) which is just one of the many documented medical problems he has. This is the one however that he has suffered with for 12 years and he is in constant pain. He is an Insurance agent. He misses a lot of time from work due to the terrible swelling and pain in his feet and legs from the huge nasty ulcers. His Dr says he will definitely back him in his attempt to go onto disability. His other medical problems include ankylosis spondylitis, hep C, arthritis and Colitis or Crohn's disease. They haven't exactly nailed the Colitis down to it or Crohn's. At any rate, he has developed high blood pressure from the meds he takes and now has high BP as well. It's hard for him to keep his legs wrapped all day at work when he should really have his feet up on the couch to help keep the swelling down/ It-the leg ulcers give him so much pain that it's hard for him to concentrate on his customers and on making sales. He is on pain meds all of the time. He has 12 years of documented care for this problem that NEVER goes away. He has had one ulcer on his ankle for 3 to 4 years now. It just plain won't heal. Many have healed over time but each time he gets one that gets really big- like over 4 inches wide each way-it takes almost a year to heal. By the time he gets rid of one-if he ever does, then a new one pops up. He currently has at least 10 new ones now on his feet! He can't very well work in just about any type of job due to the pain. Have you ever had a client that had this problem? Did he or she win their case with SS? We are in Oregon. He also has Disability Insurance that he has paid for for 27 years and we plan on taking him out of the office for at least 90 days to give him a break so he won't have to change these nasty dressings at work and so he can sit on the couch and baby his legs in hopes he can get them a little more under control. His Disability carrier is that Company that 60 Minutes did a special on-aren't we lucky? So what do you think? Oh, and by the way, thanks so much for taking the time out of your day to devote a lot to this website-I really appreciate the fact that there is someone out there doing this for people who just want to know like me if there is any real chance that my husband might qualify for SS when he needs it so bad!

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 5:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorraine: Ha! Thank me and you have to wait months for an answer. Sorry; I had a lot of briefs to get out and had to neglect the site for a while. You must make your husband's legs your first priority! He should first take every measure he can to protect them, which includes not only medication but also diet and lifestyle changes. That probably includes quitting his job, but don't neglect other lifestyle changes like diet and exercise; take the most drastic measures possible, and be tough with him if he is the kind of person that requires that.

He should file for social security disability the day he stops working even if he plans to go back, and should keep a social security case simmering on the back burner until he starts drawing or returns to work permanently. This is because it might take so long.

If his Long Term Disability carrier ever denies him or cuts him off, he should hire an attorney immediately. The record closes after he is denied a second time, and once closed he might lose no matter what an attorney does.

If he has a good lawyer he should win his Social Security case; and he might get lucky and win on his own. If he is turned down the first time, he should definitely get an attorney.

James McMahon (James)
Username: James

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have severe depression. I also have high blood pressure now and Edema ( swelling ankles). My DR said the swelling ankles was due to standing and working on my feet on concrete floors for 34 years. The depression has been a battle for me since 1991 but has increased now the last 3 years. I hardly ever leave the house now or talk much to anyone. Will I be able to apply for SSD now because of the depression and the Edema? Thanks.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1228

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James, of course you can apply but what you really want to know is whether you have a good chance of winning such a claim.

If you cannot leave your house you cannot work, unless you have extraordinary work skills or experience.

If you must keep your legs elevated above your waist for several hours during any 8, unless you have extraordinary work skills or experience.

But of course it is not enough for you to say that is your problem; it is not even enough for you to actually have the problem. You must prove it.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was recently diagnosed with Phlebitis in my right leg. I have worked retail for the past 5 years and have always had problems with my leg. The problems actually started when i went to boot camp for the US NAVY. There are days when I cannot even walk because of the pain and swelling. While working my boss would allow me to sit whenever possible,but just recently when I was diagnosed I was taken out of work and told to find a job where I can sit down. Is this a good case for filing for SSI benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1417

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a tough question to answer. If you are young, they are probably going to expect you to sit down and work. If you are older, maybe not. It is too close for me to say. Get your medical records and talk to an attorney.

ACE (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have problems with my right hip. As an infant, one of the immunizations that I received had made my leg swell on the right. I have some types of bumps on that side only and when I swell, they turn different colors & leak pus and or blood. My hip is approximately 2 inches larger than the left & when it swells, it is larger than that & it turns hot red,tight, and just miserable. I applied for disability when I was around 22 maybe. I'm 33 now. I have been hospitalized for this twice. it occurs around 4 times a year very badly that I just cry. Throughout the year it flares up, but now as prominent as the very bad ones. When I applied for disabilty years ago, I was denied.The Drs. say that it is cellulitis, but it is the biggest cellulitis case that they have ever seen and some say that its something different that they honestly cannot give me an answer.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.