Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Essential tremor disorder
striptiz black eyed peas
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Essential tremor disorder  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
striptiz black eyed peas

striptiz black eyed peas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cathyd

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)striptiz black eyed peas

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 35 years old and have been diagnosed with having Essential Tremor Disorder. My hands shake constantly when using fine motor skills. My tremors are extremely embarrasing to me, my husband and kids which makes me very depressed. I was prescribed paxil and primadone. I also have a difficult time concentrating. I don't know if my hard time concentrating has anything to do with my ET. My neurologist said that my condition will get progressively worse with age. I also have daily head to toe tremors that last a couple minutes - I was told by a relative that I wouldn't have a change at collecting ss disability because I am only 35 - what do you think my chance is? I fit all the eligibility requirements as far as past work is concerned. Thanks for your time...

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 5:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a hard question to answer based on the facts you gave. If your tremor cannot be controlled enough for you to perform either gross or fine manipulation of objects, and you don't have high level managerial or professional skills that enable you to work with physical activity is limited to pointing your finger and drinking coffee, you might qualify.

It is harder when you are young, but not impossible.

Be sure to either work or file or both; if you just stay at home your eligibility will expire.

eddie fowler

Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was recently laid off work due to slow down.my proplem started several years ago i have a diffuclt time using my hands due to a small tremor
especially writing and using screwdrivers etc.iwent to my doctor several times before he sent me to a nerouligst who said i had essential
tremor which caused me to be real slow at work and the mental part was the worse doing things
in front people sometimes my hands would shake bad
i am 57 years old and out of work.and have diabetes

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eddie, maybe you could sit down and talk to a disability attorney. Certainly the tremor is going to restrict the range of jobs you can do. If that is your only problem, and you have a good education, and you can walk and use your hands for gross motion, perhaps there would be other jobs. On the other hand, diabetes often causes problems with the legs, or problems persisting at work if your blood sugar goes out of control. The fact that you are 57 makes it more difficult to adapt to a new job.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eddie, Most people who can neither use their hands for gross manipulation, like putting large parts together, nor for fine manipulation, like writing and typing, are disabled. Of course you must be sure you can prove that.

If you have no work skills and are over 50 and are limited to sedentary work, again you might be found disabled.

You certainly would not be wasting your time. You must work, or else pursue a claim, or do both.

Allie Bentley

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 52 years old and have essential tremor of the head and PSV of the heart. I work in the health care field which is both laden with stress and a lot of patient -professional contacts. It is becoming increasingly difficult to work because of embarressment of tremors and excitement of the heart. Meds help but does not take either condition away. Even my social life suffers greatly because of embarressment and inability to cope with it. Whether or not I would be eligible for SS disability, I think I may have to give up public contact when possible. Please advise on disability.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your only impairment is that you cannot work jobs involving the public, that is not disabling. There are many jobs involving no public contact.

If your heart, or your tremors, cause you to have to miss work on an unpredictable basis, that might prevent all work.

suzanna
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 7:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi im 36 and having a problem with tremors of my head and my hands its mostly in my head shaking i was droped on my head as a baby ive had problems sense and it seems to be getting worse its very hard to focus and i become very weak from it and no one will hire me i have no skills and every time i try to focus and do somthing my tremors get worse im a single mom and no one will hire me what do i do im scared im going to loss my apartment

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 807

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you cannot use your hands you probably cannot work, and I suggest that you file. Of course you need to get doctors to look at you and try to fix you if possible.

Take care and good luck.

striptiz black eyed peas
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
striptiz black eyed peas
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.