Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Deafness
couter strike-dowload
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Deafness  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
couter strike-dowload

couter strike-dowload
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MISS JULIA

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)couter strike-dowload

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

difficultpeople that are deaf and was born that way and has worked but is not working now and finds or feels working is very diffuiclt to do her best because do you think i should apply i have permanent nerve difficult

Reply by Paul I take your question to be whether deafness can be disabling. It can; and you might consider applying if you cannot work. Of course it is almost always better to work if possible. The social security regulations are very favorable toward the deaf.

Kerry

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)couter strike-dowload

Posted on Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone,

In Oct, 1999 I was treated for Acoustic Neuroma via Gamma Knife. Due to the nature of this benign tissue growth which evolves on the eighth cranial nerve, I am extremely limited in my left ear. Ocassional imbalance problems and continuous tinnitus. My right ear is in fairly good condition but some degree of hearing loss is apparent.

While I have worked continuously since my Gamma Knife, difficulties continue with such things as group meetings, phone usage and general verbal communication.

Does Social Security Disability Benefits cover this disease?

Any responses would be appreciated. I'm not looking for a free handout but in todays environment all options should be researched. I am currently working as a Telecommunications Eng but would be greatly limited in other types of work due to inability to hear conversation even within a few feet of me.

Regards & Thanks to Those who have developed this site,

Kerry
bitbucket@sbcglobal.net
Texas

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 5:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your only problem were hearing loss in one ear, that would not be disabling.

Bilateral hearing loss that cannot be corrected with hearing aids can be disabling.

So can conditions confined to one ear, that disrupt function of the whole body, such as severe dizziness that does not respond to treatment, or tinnitus so severe that it essentially makes you deaf.

James Upton

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My father has nerve deafness in both ears and wears hearing aids. This corrects his hearing somewhat but he still is very limited. He had continued to work as he has had a hearing loss for well over forty years. He is now 58 and has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis which ia severe at times but he continued to work on. In March he underwent quadruple bypass surgery for blocked arteries and as a result is now suffering limited mobility and is staring physical therapy. He has now been out of work for two months. Does he qualify for disability??

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He certainly is a good candidate for disability. The problems you describe are the sort that can disable someone. But before we could say for sure we would need to know the exact limitation of function that each condition causes, as well as his education and work experience. If you want to post that I will say more.

And of course the medical record must corroborate the limitations that he describes; and ideally there should be no contradictory medical.

Tammy Norris

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son, who is 14 years old, was diagnosed 2 years ago with Central Auditory Processing Disorder and it is on the lowest level there is. It is progressively getting worse as time goes by. I read an article that said CAPD is a legitimate disability and that it is recognized by the disability association. I want to file a claim and see if there is help for him. I know I will probably be turned down, but I will just appeal his case. Do you think it will do any good? Thanks, Tammy Norris

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tammy, I am not very familiar with this disease; my impression is that it involves a difficulty hearing speech where there is any noise other than that speech. If that is so, a claim might be hard, depending of course on the severity of the problem. I suppose at its most severe it might be nearly the same as deafness, which can be the subject of a claim. I would get a good description of the problem from your child's doctor, and take that to legal aid or an attorney.

Jeff Grover
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 36 years old. I was born with normal hearing, but suffered a severe loss at 6 months old. I have always prided myself to survive in the mainstream world. I am a professional in the IT industry. Over the past few years, I have notice and realized that my disability really does put me at a disadvantage in terms of career growth. This is due to my limitations with the use of conference calls and because my hearing is slowly deteriorating. I donít ever want to stop working, but the thought of not being able to perform my job because of my disability, and thus not be able to support my family terrifies me. If my hearing loss significantly deteriorates 10 years from now, would I be entitled to any type of disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 803

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 7:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, definitely. Once you are legally deaf, you can get disability, if you have worked enough for Social Security disability or if you are poor enough for Supplemental Security Income. Of course it would be wiser to work if you can. And you should do everything you can to make yourself as employable as possible in case you become deaf. For example, you might start studying American Sign right now.

AABHAS GARG
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Respected Sir,

Anybody who are hearing problem any one of these categories ( mild, moderate, severe) so expect to choose with the use of wearing single & both hearing aids/invisible aids and ability to speak as well as normal people and can be able to possible for 70% to 100 % of "speech recognition or descrimination". "except profound deaf and totally deaf". ''

As above as clarify the one statement.
Would anybody be considered having a disability/Social Security
disability ?

aabhas

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 891

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that you are asking whether you should be found disabled if you are deaf. The answer is "yes, provided that you are not working."

Something less than total deafness can also be disabling. The listings of impairment indicate that these are disabling:

2.08 Hearing impairments (hearing not restorable by a hearing aid) manifested by:
A. Average hearing threshold sensitivity for air conduction of 90 decibels or greater and for bone conduction to corresponding maximal levels, in the better ear, determined by the simple average of hearing threshold levels at 500, 1000 and 2000 hz. (see 2.00B1); or
B. Speech discrimination scores of 40 percent or less in the better ear;

Note that these answers apply to disability under the US Social Security system, and of course I have no idea what rule would apply in India.

AABHAS GARG (Aabhasgarg)
Username: Aabhasgarg

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Respected Sir,
Thank you very much for you recieving me ....

I am very happy for information of US with disabilities.

From india,I am 23 year old I am belonging to bilaterally deaf with loss of upto 102 decibels with combination of both the use of hearing aids and lip reading and can be able to hear a little about 10-20 % of speech discrimination.I graduated in Engg from premier institute .

Whatsoever I have very confused about information of indian with disabilities. I think india rules is seperated(different) from US rules with disability.So US has more better accessible for deaf than india In india, in which can be used to get more payments to minor disability on the basis of very low family income.it means that loss of disability are only 40% to 75%( only preferred) or 100 % must qualify to scholarship / payments on the basis of academic merit.Indian rule does not bother against speech discrimination about disabilities...However ,India has very bad system as i know...

I have nothing to bring any payments by indian govt. for last many years because of my high loss of hearing disability.
No matter bad my hearing is....

Next year I may want to go to US for higher studies.

Please convey me of your decision....

Kind Regards,

AABHAS GARG

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 896

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aabhas, I am not sure what your question is, but I think that it is, "I am essentially deaf. Will I get financial help in the US if I emmigrate there from India?"

In short, to oversimplify drastically, the US SSI and Social Security disability laws have been amended to provide that you cannot just move here and start getting benefits. You don't necessarily have to be a citizen, but you must have contributed substantially to the US system before you can get any benefits.

Of course we have some excellent colleges for the deaf, such as Gallaudet, and their website might be a start for research into your educational opportunities here: It is at www.gallaudet.edu. They have a lot of resources for education of the deaf anywhere and at any level, at clerccenter.gallaudet.edu/

AABHAS GARG (Aabhasgarg)
Username: Aabhasgarg

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Respected Sir,

Thank you very much for your info.

Apparently, As far as I know I do not apply for admmision to Gallaudet as I have most of problems to communicate with Gallaudet Deaf students and did not converse satisfactorily... therefore it depends upon sign interpreter I do not know how to sign .... I have used of excellent lipreading and other strong technical background so there is no available in fields for engineering at gallaudet.But I want to go study for admmision to only top universities such Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other top univ if required I need to apply on the basis of communication like lipreading and strong background.However However, if MIT is
willing to accommodate hearing loss needs, it is a better engineering school.

Hope you might have some suggestions.....

Take Care
AABHAS GARG

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 902

Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry, I don't; that is not my area of expertise. Good luck and keep looking.

sharie collins
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am consider deaf i apply for disability and was granted but has not receive back pay i apply in april and was 1st check was in sep but was told that they was withholding payment for may -aug, after that they will make a decision about back pay how long do it take for them to make this chioce?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 961

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is rarely more than 3 months; you should contact them. Take care.

Sheila (Sheila)
Username: Sheila

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was born deaf and have been working for almost 19 years. Do I get disability? I was told that my hearing is servere profound, very bad.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1145

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are deaf you can stop work any time and shold get a check, and should not have to hire a lawyer. Take care.

Mary Ester (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a midle school teacher who has lost 50% hearing in one ear and 25% in the other ear.I had a brain tumor which lead to gamma knife surgery and a cranionomy.Shortly afterwords I started to loose my hearing. I have hearing aids but am having a lot of difficulty in the classroom due to background noise which makes communication with my students difficult. Do you think that I will qualify for disability?

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 37 yrs old i have worked since i was 16 in the last yr i noticed my hearing going bad i was born deaf in my left ear and wnt last week for hearing screnning it was 35 percent in my good ear do i qualify for disabilty i havent worked in the last yr due to it i am scared to work in a factory due to noise pollution thank you for your time

Judith Trafton (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 58 year old Speech Pathologist in a pulic school system. In 1998, I lost total hearing in my left ear due to a stroke. I am now losing hearing in my right ear. This is causing me great difficulty in my therapy sessions with my students. Would I qualify for SS disability at this time.

couter strike-dowload
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
couter strike-dowload
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.