Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Proving I Have Worked Enough to get S...
free download cd key vegas 5.0
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Proving I Have Worked Enough to get Social Security Disabiltiy  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

joan Pfeiffer

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)free download cd key vegas 5.0

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 8:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

four years go I was diagnosed with Parkisons disease. I am 58 now. I was working at a seasonal job for about 3 months, also the year before and I worked the year after. It seems I do not have enough credits within the 10 years prior to my disease. Is there anyway I can qualify for disability
Joan Pfeiffer
Lmaris5484@aol.com

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2001 - 5:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly, Joan. If your family income is low enough, you might qualify for SSI.
If not, you need to earn enough money to qualify. The only way I know to be
sure is to call 1 800 772 1213 and order your earnings record. When you get
it take it to a good attorney who handles a lot of this and that attorney
can tell you how much you would have to earn.

Many people who are too ill for full time work can pick up enough earnings
here and there to eventually qualify

T.FLOYD

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 8:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOW MANY HOURS ARE ALLOWED TO WORK OR HOW MUCH CAN
YOU EARN TO RECIEVE FULL DISABILITY BENEFITS.

THE STATE IS N.C. FOR THE QUESTION POST BY T.FLOYD

PLEASE HELP!

Reply by Paul I am not sure of your question. If you mean, how much must you earn to be qualified for some sort of check, the answer is, it depends.

If your income and resources are low, you can get an SSI check even though you have no earnings.

If you are over 29, you can get a Social Security Disability check if you have worked, very roughly, 5 of the last 10 years. If between 20 and 30, roughly 1/2 of the years since you became 21. If younger than that, even less.

But don't try to figure this out on your own. If you think you might qualify for Social Security Disability, order an earnings record by calling 1 800 772 1213. If they say you don't qualify, take your record to an attorney, who should be able to tell you what you need to do to qualify. I would not take the Administration's word on this.

If you have health problems, it often becomes very important that you work, and report all of your earnings, so that you can be eligible for benefits.

Take care. Ask again if that is not your question.

Joyce M

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 3:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What are nonmedical requirements in reference to applying for SSD?
Thank You.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To oversimplify, you must show that you have worked enough. To find out if you qualify, call 1 800 772 1213 and ask for an earnings record. If it says you qualify, you probably do. If it says that you do not, you should take that form to a good social security attorney and ask him. Sometimes there are things you can do to qualify if they say you do not. Take care.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 6:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How much do I have to work to be qualified for Social Security Disability

Paul McChesney

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends. Most people over 30 qualify if they have worked roughly 5 out of the last 10 years. It only takes a few thousand dollars of earnings in any year to qualify as having worked for that year.

If you are younger than 30, you do not have to have worked that much.

You can sometimes get disability benefits on your spouse's record, sometimes even if you have divorced your spouse. You can draw disablity benefits if your spouse is deceased and you become disabled within 7 years of his or her death or your entilement to a prior check on his or her record.

If you have not worked at all, but have low income and resources, you might qualify for SSI disability.

Call 1 800 772 1213, the Social Security toll-free number, and order an earnings statement for you and your spouse to see if you have worked enough. They can also tell you how much work it takes to get full or partial credit for working during a year.

In addition to disability benefits, which are discussed above, there are a lot of retirement and survivor's benefits that pepole can get under the act if they or their spouses have worked enough.

Judy

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and Hypo-Thyroid at the age of 48. I have only worked for a company for about 3years total and Temp jobs off and on for the past 10 years. My husband has worked for the railroad for almost 30years. Could I be quailifed for Social Security Benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 5:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy: It is possible. If you work steadily for many years, you will probably be qualified if you can prove you are disabled within 5 years of when you quit. If your work is more erratic than that, it is difficult to say at what point you are not qualified. You can find out by calling 1 800 772 1213 and ordering an earning record. If it says you are covered, you are. If it says you are not, take it to an attorney and let him see if things can be fixed, either by establishing an early onset for disability, or else by working just a little more, at a conventional job, or an unconventional one, such as selling cosmetics, etc.

linda jones

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 7:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will be getting married next month and have been told that my fiancee will no longer be able to draw his ss or ssi or medicaid or medicare. He has been disable since birth and drew off his father who is deceased. Will he be able to draw off my ss (disablility) when we get married? If not how is he suppose to manage with all his funds gone? Thanks Linda

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2001 - 6:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Linda, you must sit down and talk to an attorney before you get married! Depending on the amount of your check, his SSI and Medicaid might be ended. If he is drawing Child's Social Security benefits under the record of one of his parents, marriage usually ends benefits, unless it is to a person who is already drawing benefits. However, you would be foolish to act based on what you read here; the rules are so complicated that it is dangerous to act without checking with an attorney. Take care and good luck.

scott Gwynn

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wife was on SSI while we were waiting for a malpractice suit to settle. Once it did they said we were no longer elligible for SSI but they never mentioned SSDI. Now she has been totally disabled for 12 years and I have been taking care of her. She was a house wife prior to becoming disabled and hadnt worked for 10 years while I was in the military, now it has been about that long since I have had a real job. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to get her on disability or medicare
Scott

Reply by Paul:
The ways from where you are to some sort of help are many and complex. There are attorneys who specialize in rearranging your assets so that you might qualify; often it is impossible, but sometimes it is possible.

LINDA THOMPSON

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MY DAUGHTER WAS ON DISABILITY DRAWN FROM HER FATHER'S ACCOUNT FROM THE TIME SHE WAS ABOUT 17 OR 18. SHE HAS NEVER WORKED. SHE GOT MARRIED AND NOW IS TALKING ABOUT DIVORCE. SHE WAS TOLD SHE WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR DISABILITY IF SHE DIVORCES. WHY? AND WHAT CAN SHE GET TO SUPPORT HER. SHE IS STILL DISABLED WITH MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY. SHE IS 27 NOW.

Reply by Paul If she divorces, I am not sure if she can go back and claim under her father's record. But please check with a local lawyer to be sure; it is an important question, too important to act or not act on what I can do for you here.

If she has no money, she might be able to qualify for SSI.

Maude Oakleaf

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2001 - 2:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have several questions--I've received contradictory answers to these questions, or no answers at all, from the local SS office. When I qualified for Social Security Disability in 1996 I had to hire a lawyer and go all the way through to a judge to get a favorable verdict. Now, without an attorney, I have just survived a review (or so the doctor said) of my claim--though I got the strong impression I was not expected to "win" the review. The government doctor who examined me commented that I needed care all the time, that it's dangerous for me to be left alone. My daughter moved back home to help me several years ago, but works a 40-hour week. Is there a program to pay her to stay home and provide care for me?

Reply by Paul I will reply to the questions as I get to them, in bold. There is none under the Social Security Administration. There might be something available in your state that I don't know about.

I've heard that there is....... How would that effect her future SS earnings?

If someone doesn't get paid a wage, they will not qualify for retirement or disability. This is a dangerous thing to do. Everyone ought to figure out some way to earn at least 4 quarters a year, or more if they can.

Also, I was married for 11 1/2 years, haven't remarried; disabled at 50 years old. He is currently 61, still working at his own business. I assume I qualify to receive some benefits from him? At what point in time?

Yes. When you and he reach retirement age, you can retire on a portion of his wages. If he dies before that, you can claim widow's benefits as a disabled widow.

Additionally, he had his own sideline business in addition to his regular job. I did all the office work/taxes/ordering etc., while we were together--this was 1974 through 1986. We filed a joint return as well as the return for his business--am I qualified to receive work credits for that time period, as part of the pool I'm drawing income from now? He was making about $10,000 a year at that business. How do I substantiate the work credit? What can I do about not having received that credit for all this time--is it too late?

If you worked, you should have reported income. You might be able to go back and do that now; but it would be hard, and might not be profitable to you. You must lay the case before an attorney in his office to be sure.

Thanks, this is a great site.....

Mary Baldwin

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inquiring for my mother, age 54 , White, married, no dependent children. Pennsylvania.
She has a complete disability from Multiple Sclerosis. We applied for disability, and were denied for the following reasons.
1) She does not have enough earned income points.
2) Spouse earns to much.
However...She needs full time care, which we can not afford, so I quite my job, to move home and take care of her. I no longer have any source of income, and no health care at all.
Is there any use in re-applying ? Are there other programs that I can look into for aid for myself as a care-giver ?

Paul McChesney

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would talk to a good local lawyer. Also get a copy of your mother's earnings record by calling 1 800 772 1213 and asking for a PEBS statement. Sometimes you can establish extra earnings, or claim an earlier onset date, and get qualified. See the introduction for suggestions on getting a lawyer and my disclaimer.

Cheryl

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 40 year old female. A truck driver by trade. I was injured on the job in 1997. And I have been unable to work since. I have a bulging disc. Cronic Back & Neck pain & Degenerative disc disease. I also have just recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I Called the SS today to find out if I was eligible for SS disability and was told that I was not because I have not worked enough. This is WRONG. My husband and myself owed our own business and Drove together from 1989 - 1997. I have all the records (log books etc, check stubs etc to support this). Our tax man told us that the social security we paid in would be split in 1/2. The Social Security administration has no record of any SS paid in on my behalf and that It all went to my husbands SS. Please let me know if there is anything I can do!

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheryl, you certainly should do something about this. You need to sit down with an attorney and your tax returns to see if you can straighten this out.

Vickie Smith

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2001 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 47 divorced woman who lives in St. Louis Mo. In 1993 I had surgery on my knee to repair a torn cartilage, and in 1995 I had a MRI and it showed I had a torn rotator cuff which I had many years of therapy on. and in 1998 I had a triple bypass and in 1999 I had another heart cath. to open 3 more clogged arteries. And in 2000 I had 2 ruptured disk in my neck which I had repaired. And on top of all that I am a non-insulin diabetic, Now I find myself unable to do the work I have done for over 10 years which is food service. I have filed a claim for SSI as I was told I didn't earn enough for SSB, since I worked for a school.
Any way my question is I own 25% of a house in Texas that belongs to my mother which she is still living in.And cannot be sold unless she passes on. And I have NO other income.
The value of that house is 49,000 to be divided by 4 people. Would that disqualify me from drawing ssi. And is there any other program I can get into. I need an income as I'm at risk of being hungry and homeless.
Thanks
Vickie

Reply by Paul: 1. Yes resources can sometimes be a barrier to SSI. 2. To oversimplyfy, a resource problem can almost always be solved by a good attorney. 3. You might nearly, but not quite, qualify for Social Security Disability. Call 1 800 772 1213 right now and order an earnings statement. Take it to a good attorney and he or she can tell you exactly how much you need to earn to become qualified. It might only be a few hundred dollars. You DO NOT have to have a conventional job to earn money. If you stand up in front of your church and say please buy this Amway junk from me because I need earnings, if you actually sell the product, the SSA cannot deny that you have earned whatever profit you make.

Vickie S

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike
Thanks for the good advice. Now I have a few more questions.
You said I didn't have to work at a conventional job to earn money right.
So if I was drawing unemployment from 1999-2000 does that count as income, even if they didn't hold out SS?
And how much do you have to earn to qualify for SSD?
Thanks and keep up the good work.
Vickie

Reply by Paul:
Unemployment doesn't count; only earned income. How much has a complex answer. The short one is, call 1 800 772 1213 and get an earnings record. If it says you are covered, you probably are. If it says you are not, go to a good lawyer immediately. You can often fix that. To oversimplfy, if you are over 30 you must have worked around 5 of the last ten years; if under, something less. There are a lot of tricks to get coverage, such as claiming an earlier onset date or working to pick up a few quarters. There are many ways to work, for Social Security purposes, that you have not thought of. But don't take that as the final answer! Order your record.

JEFF U.

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,I am a 38 y/o male with chronic back problems.I had a work related l-5 s-1 disc herniation when i was 29 that put me out of work for over six months and was not able to return to my regular job and was given a 9% disability to a man as a whole with permanent restrictions for no lifting no more than ten lbs frequntly or 25lbs occasionally with no repetitive bending at the waist,stooping or kneeling and no twisting.I had no surgery for the problem and have been in pain ever since. I did try a part time job about a year and half after the back injury and found out that i could not tolerate the pain.I have since developed hypertension and anxiety with a occasional panic attack.I have just found out that i have a c3-4 and c 6-7 disc herniations that i have to see a nuerosurgeon about in two weeks.I have not worked for 6 or 7 years due to severe pain head,neck and back.I have had a rental property to rely on a small income of $350 monthly.I have a 8th grade education.I have not signed up for disability yet.Could you shed some light on my chances?

Reply by Paul See the prior post for the warning about not letting things drift. File or work or both, but never neither. Now you might have to show that you were disabled at some past time in order to qualify, since you have gone 5 years without working. (The number of years can be less than 5, if you have less earnings, but never more.)

You might qualify for SSI; if your property is worth more than $2000, which I am sure it is, you can probably keep it if you show it is income producing. If someone tells you the property disqualifies you from SSI, get a lawyer, it might not be true.

As to disablity, most people under 50 must show that their back condition keeps them from attending to and concentrating on even the lightest work; there are exceptions.

Take care and good luck.

Joy Franklin

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I talked with a CPA who told me that since I was self-employed, he could amend my taxes for the past 5 years. But from everything that I have read, you can only amend them for the last 3 years. I filed taxes jointly with my husband because I operated the home day care from our home. I can not work and I really need to try and get SSDI. I live in Aiken, South Carolina. Can you give me some advise or recommend a good attorney? Thank you!

Reply by Paul CPA's know more about amending returns than I do. But I thought you only had 3 years, 3 months, and 15 days. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS THE FINAL WORD! If anybody knows better, please correct me.

I will suggest an attorney by email

Kevin Wanttaja

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister suffers from depression and anxiety. She has not been able to work since 1997 but has been receiving alimony and child support. That ended and she filed for Social Security disability. The Social Security Administration told her she is not eligible for disability benefits because she has not worked since 1988. She stopped working to raise her family. Is this true? Does the disability have to occur while you are working. She paid into social security for over 15 years before becoming a full time mom.

\b(Reply by Paul} In addition to being disabled, you have to have worked enough to qualify for Social Security Disability. The only way to be sure whether you qualify and when your eligibility did or will end is to call 1 800 772 1213 and order an earnings record. Once you get that sit down and talk to an attorney and let him calculate the date last insured.

A very rough rule that you should not use for a final answer is that if you are 30 or over, you have to have worked very roughly 5 out of the last 10 years. Under 30 it is less.

Your sister might be able to prove that she was disabled back when she was eligible, which might or might not be as late as 1993.

Your sister might be able to work at an Amway type job and earn four quarters of coverage in each of 5 years and regain eligibility. She can find out how much she needs to earn each year by calling that same number about February and asking. It is now roughly between $3,000 and $4,000 for the full 4 quarters; less might get you one, two or three, and help a little.

There is also SSI, for people who are disabled and poor.

Take care.

LIVIA HOUSTMAN

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2002 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA FOR AT LEAST 15YRS. I AM 54 AND HAVE NOT WORKED SINCE 1997. I WORKED ONLY 4 YRS. BUT THE FIBROMYALGIA WAS SO BAD THAT I WAS NOT DEPENDABLE. PRIOR TO WORKING I WAS A HOUSEWIFE. I HAVE A H.S.EDUCATION. I MAY HAVE THE QUATERS I NEED. I AM MARRIED AND MY HUSBAND IS PRESENTLY ON DISABILITY.
WOULD I RECEIVE ANYTHING IF I APPLIED OR SHOULD I WAIT UNTIL I'M 62 AND APPLY FOR 1/2 OF HIS SS DISABILITY? WE LIVE IN N.Y.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't just wait around.

If you worked steadily up to 1997 at a good job, you probably have enough earnings to qualify for benefits on your own record. Order your earnings record to be sure, by calling 1 800 775 3985. But if they say that you are not covered, take that document to an attorney anyway and let him calculate whether someone with your record might have been covered in the past, or whether you might become covered by working just a little bit, perhaps at unconventional employment.

Take care and good luck.

Christine

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 7:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an employee whose husband recently had back surgery and is now not able to work. He was previously self employed & was recently denied ssi because of some stipulation that he has not had continual income for 5 yrs. Can you give me the qualifying factors for ssi?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get SSI, you just have to show that you are disabled and broke. Income has nothing to do with it. If he is destitute, he should be sure that any SSI claim is appealed. Sometimes one can spend just a little bit of money and become qualified

He is probably mixing up SSI and DIB. To get DIB, or Social Security Disability benefits, you have to have worked ROUGHLY 5 out of the last 10 years, if you are 30 or over; or half the years since you turned 21, if you are from 22-29, or about a year and a little more, if you are under that.

More precisely you have to earn a certain number of credits in a ten year span, for those 30 and over, or over a shorter span for those under 30.

If he is anywhere close, he should get a copy of his earnings record and show it to an attorney who does this sort of thing. Sometimes a few hundred more dollars, creatively earned, is all someone needs to qualify.

Larry Chapman

Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I have applied for social security disability and have been denied on the basis that I haven't put in enough hours into social security. My doctor has signed for me to get disability because of my heart condition, diabities, etc, but as I stated SSA has denied me. I am also not able to hold a job because of my health. My first heart surgery was in 1999 and I have had numerous surguries since. I have not held a steady job since 1999 on account of the frequent heart conditions, and my resources are depleted. What other options do I have?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 5:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's assume you are disabled. You also have to prove your income and resources are low enough, in order to get SSI, or else prove that you have earned enough, in order to get Social Secuirty Disability.

Order your earnings record by calling 1 800 772 1213. Take it by the office of a good attorney who primarily handles Social Security. Also take information about your family income and resources. Often you can earn just a few quarters, or rearrange your resources, and qualify. Some things you can do on your own, but it really takes a good attorney to do this.

dianalyn00

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was doagnosed with MS 14 years ago although it wasn't sever and I continued to work. I stopped working about 5 years ago and became a stay at home Mom. About a year ago I was plauged with contant dizziness that made it hard to function. By the time I got in to see a nuerologist it was Nov. 2001. He ran a bunch of tests and diagnosed me with Myasthenia Gravis (along with MS)
I am 41 years old
Here is my problem:
On Dec 31, 2001 I had 20 credits to collect disability, but on Jan 1, 2002 I don't have enough credits, will I still be able to collect?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana: Maybe. This is a common fact pattern. A person with a chronic disease "decides to become a stay at home mom" in part because of the disease. Time passes and eligibility expires before the disease is well diagnosed.

You face some difficult choices, which you must make in a hurry. One choice is to file and prove that you were disabled as of December 2001. If you succeed, you get benefits. But you are then relying on your neurologist, and if he fails you, or if for some reason there is some evidence that the judge can reasonably rely on to deny you, you will probably never again qualify for benefits; you would have to work in each of 5 years.

Another alternative might be to figure out some way to make 4 credits in 2002. Any reported work will do; you have to earn $830 to earn a quarter in 2002, and 4 times that to earn 4 quarters. This would mean that you could prove that you became disabled this year, and still be qualified.

Of course I have no idea whether this is feasible for you from a physical standpoint, but don't give up on this approach just because you are not physically able to do "real work." It helps to think out of the box; Amway, Mary Kay, sympathetic friends. But make sure its real work.

You can keep moving your eligibility up by a year by earining 4 quarters; to find out the amount for any year, call 1 800 772 1213 about February.

Don't drag your feet! You must do one thing or the other right away. And sit down and talk to your doctor, and to an attorney. Be positive that doctor is violently supportive! You should get an attorney right now, and a good one. You might only have one chance.

Elizabeth Cucurello

Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any statue of limitations for earned credits. My husband has been declared disabled but not eligible because he does not have enough credits, his first claim was 1998 and his second was 2003 but they have him disabled as of 2000.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 5:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a question with an extremely complex answer. To say the question another way, "If the Administration says that I have not worked enough to be entitled to Social Security benefits, is there anything I can do?

The short answer, and the only one you should act on, is, "Yes. Get your earnings record and sit down with an attorney."

The longer answer is that if any earnings are left off of your record because of the fault of an employer, you might be able to amend it even many years later. If it is your fault, for example because you are self employed, you only have 3 years, 3 months, and 15 days to amend. A final way to fix the problem which works for many people is to earn a little money. This can often be a very small amount, earned in unconventional ways.

But you must sit down with the attorney to find out exactly how much more earnings you need.

And always report earnings, especially if you have a health problem!

Order your earnings record by calling 1 800 772 1213. Get it before you sit down with the attorney.

Take care and good luck.

lizabetty

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 7:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your reply, I think that is our only recourse. Sincerely, Elizabeth Cucurello

JanetBenedick
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother is 59, and up until 18 months ago she worked 50-60 hr weeks as a sales manager. She had to stop working secondary to rapidly declining health. She was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis and has been in the hospital 4 times in the past year (for a total of 2 and a half months)She also had to have bowel resection surgery three months ago, and has since had to move in with us for financial and health reasons.She applied for disability, and was denied. She appealed and we are awating a hearing. She is developing allergic reactions to the only available drugs to treat this disease, and although she desperately wants to work, it is very unlikely that she will be able to. Any suggestions on improving her chances of winning the second time around?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 842

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes; get a lawyer, get him to copy the file and get all medicals, and then sit down with them and him and see what is missing. If he is good, he will know what they are looking for, and since you have the records, you will know what they have. With those two sets of information, you can tell what is missing, and get it.

cherie morris
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been diagnoised with severe stenosis of the spine, a bulging disc, in need of total knee surgury, due to osteoarthritis, and doctors say I am permanently disabled, I have not worked since I was 20 and I am now 61, but my husband has, my question is, can I still apply for disability, under those conditions, or the fact that I have never worked, make it impossible to get any benefits.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 970

Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 7:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends on how much income your husband has, and how much resources you have. Even if you have not worked, you can get SSI where each are low enough.

Check with the Administration and they will tell you whether they are low enough.

Of course, once your husband applies for retirement, you can make a retirement claim, too, if you are old enough. You can do this based on his record, so you don't have to have earnings.

Take care.

tammy skeens (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Sir, my husband is a diabetic,48 years old & takes 2 kinds of insulin 3 times a day, plus 2 types of pill for diabetes. He also takes 2 kinds of meds. for very high cholesterol.(over 400). He has always had a good job untill the last 2 years when he began having medical problems. He missed so much work they let him go. He has been hospitalized 3 times in the last year and half because of pancreitis. He has developed vision problems as well as neropathy in the legs,feet, and hands. he has no insurance and cant afford the testing supplies. do you think he might qualify for disability? he has worked more than enough i am sure. also do you know any place we might get help with the testing supplies as i am laid off from my job as well. thnk you , tammy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.