Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Income Tax and Social Security Disabi...
insex rapidshare.de
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Income Tax and Social Security Disability Benefits  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
insex rapidshare.de

insex rapidshare.de
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Susan LEuropa

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)insex rapidshare.de

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a former federal employee. I am disabled and retired. I receive disability retirement payments under the civil service program. Why are civil service payments taxable when other disability payments are not taxed?

Reply by Paul Those sorts of payments are beyond my expertise. Social Security payments are only taxed if your total income is more than a certain amount.

Doreen Mosher

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2001 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are social security disability payments taxed?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 7:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the income of you and your spouse is high enough, they are. I am embarrassed to say I do not know how high they must be before tax starts; most of my clients are so broke that it is not a problem for them. I think the limit used to be $35,000 a year, but DON'T GO BY THAT; I am not certain. If anybody finds the exact limit, please post it here.

Don

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that in 2000 that the limits before income taxes have to be paid are 25,00 for a single person and 32,000 for a joint return. Not sure what 2001 will be. Check first but I am sure this is correct.....

Linda Elerick, CPA

Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 2001 the limits are still the same. If single, head of household, qualifying widower or married filing separately social security income can become taxable if your income is in excess of $25,000, if married filing jointly $32,000.

roy w. waters

Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i recieved a disability check and taxes were withheld whos responsible for taxes and added wages me or my company

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends on the sort of disability you are drawing. As far as Federal taxes, Social Security checks are taxable only if your income is high; worker's compensation usually is not; and benefits from private disability policies are taxable only if pre-tax dollars were used to pay the premiums. I know nothing about taxability under state law.

edna lott

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

site for filing ss disability

A Lunsford

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 6:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received 20,000.00 lump sum from SSD, I reimbursed 22,000.00 to LTD for offset. How does this affect my tax return this year. I live in NC. I will receive a 1099 from SSD, but nothing from LTD, also 5300.00 was paid to my attorney. I called H&R Block, the response was "good question" can you help. Email me if needed, please.
Thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh, mine is the same; I am not great at taxes. I do know that Social Security payments below a certain amount are not taxed. Better check with a CPA or something. Anybody out there know the answer?

Rob (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to receive a lump of 23k net earnings from a ltd company.I've just been recently awarded ssdi benefits.I'm just wondering what effect this lump sum amount will have on my ssdi benefits at tax time this year.The ltd company will hold out taxes for this amount.The ssd and ltd policies were in my company benefit package.Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.My question is will i have to pay taxes on this amount or will i have to pay back ssa since taxes are allready been taken out ?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1025

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have received back Social Security Disability and LTD benefits for the same months at an unreduced rate, most LTD policies require that you pay them back an overpayment. Be careful to do this!

Taxes are trickier still. Use this as a start, but take no action till you talk to a tax expert:
LTD income is taxible if you used pre-tax money to buy the insurance, as most do. SS benefits are taxable if your income is higher than a certain amount.

Rita Cox (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a favorable decision on my disability case. The onset of benefits goes all the way back to 11/6/97. It would seem I will be due a very large lump sum. Is all of this taxable for this year(2005)? I just hope I don't have to give most of it back to the IRS or NC Dept or Revenue. Does anyone know of a case like mine? Thanx.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1046

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The short answer is that it depends. See http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq6.html. You MUST talk to to a CPA or tax attorney; you might be able to save 50 times what you pay them.

The medium length, but not complete answer, is that if your income is low, you will not have to pay tax. If your income is higher, you will have to pay some tax. You might have to pay the tax as if you got all the money this year. You might be able to spread it over several years.

The 1983 Social Security Amendments imposed taxes on up to half of benefits for single taxpayers getting Social Security with "modified adjusted gross income" over $25,000 and for couples with income over $32,000. Modified adjusted gross income includes all ordinary adjusted gross income, plus half of Social Security benefits, plus income from tax-exempt bonds.

William R Jones (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If minor (less than 18 years old) receives social security disability due to a diabled parent and the parent uses benefits for minor's support exclusively plus payments are worded such as "Mary Brown for Nancy Brown" (Nancy is the minor)-- should the parent report the social security as income on their return. The payments are for the minor but since she is less than 18 the parent with the disability is sent the benefit check.

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I receive SSD benefits. If I have no working income but own a home can I still file a tax return to itimize property taxes and interest? I received rental income. My rental income does not put me above the taxable amount allowed by IRS. I'm confused if I am able to file or if it is even necessary.

insex rapidshare.de
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
insex rapidshare.de
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.