Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Social Security Retirement and Social...
bass box pro rapidshare
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Social Security Retirement and Social Security Disability - Which Should I Ask For  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
bass box pro rapidshare

bass box pro rapidshare
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sara f reece

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)bass box pro rapidshare

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2001 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am now drawing ss disability and since I am now 62 do I file for ss benifits or is the disability
benifits that I now recieve the full amount I can get?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 6:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Social Security Disability is better than Social Security Retirement, with rare exceptions. If you are also drawing worker's compensation, for exmple, in some states that check will reduce your Social Security Disability check, but not your retirement check. If you are not sure, you might go down to the Social Security office and check.

Ron Appese

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had several illnesses, all my life, yet have have worked under civil service and social security.
I have epilepsy,deaf in one ear,arthritis,emphazima,and psoriasis.
The epilepsy and psoriasis are of my concern most, because eighty percent of my body is covered with psoriasis, including my hands, and the epilepsy has never been fully controlled.
I am soon to retire in one year, from the postal service, and would like to know if i could get any addittional ssi.
My civil service pension is not much, yet I feel I cannot get a job after I retire, due to my psoriasis,most, because it's on my hands and I have no finger nails. It humiliates me when someone sees this, more than when I have a seizure.
Can you please advise me as to what I can receive or do?

Sincerely
r. appese

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 4:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might apply for social security disability if you have worked enough under that system. Disability pays better than retirement. Your income has to be fairly limited for you to get SSI. I don't know if you can get more from disability retirement under the Federal retirement system or not, but you might look in to that.

Betty Wright

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My dad is receiving disability benefits. He is 63 yrs old. Is he entitled to receive social security benefits yet? He was worked for Georgia pacific for 28yrs before getting sick and retiring, should he be receiving retirement benefits from Georgia pacific? Also can you received disability payments and social security benefits at the same time.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 4:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Betty, let me divide your question into parts and answer each:
1. Can you draw Social Secuirity Retirement and Social Secuirty Disability at the same time?
A. No, you get whichever check is bigger. In most normal circumstances, before age 65, that is Social Security Disability. It pays at close to the rate you would draw by retiring at 65; retirement at 63 would normally be a lower check. The only exception is when you might be able to draw worker's compensation; in that case, worker's compensation sometimes causes a reduction in disability benefits, but never in retirement benefits.

2. What are my rights under the Georgia Pacific retirement or disability plan.
A. I don't know. I would get all of the records I could from them and go to a good lawyer about it.

3. Can you receive retirement benefits from a company, like Georgia Pacific, and also receive Social Security Disability?
A. Almost always yes. There are some retirement plans, mostly public sector and railroad retirement, that can cause a reduction in Social Security Disability or retirement, but these are rare.

jeb

Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, i would like to know when recieving disability at age 62 or 65 will i not be able to receive the same amount that i recieve at present or will it change the amount that i recieve?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 5:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeb, the amount you receive will not change. To oversimplify a little, if you are declared disabled, you get about as much money as you would have if you had turned 65 on the day you became disabled. As you turn 62, you are eligible for retirement, but with one rare exception, you are better off continuing to draw disability, since the check is more. When you turn 65, your check will be converted to a retirement check; there is no such thing as Social Security Disability for someone over 65. The amount of the check will not change, however.

The rare exception involves a few of the people who are drawing worker's compensation, for which there is at some times in some states an offset for Social Security Disability, but not for Social Security Retirement. If you run into this situation, you certainly should get an attorney to guide you through it.

A. Newber

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have MS and am a public sschool teacher. Can I retire with my state system ( I have 23 years in at a N.C. school) and receive disability also?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 5:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have paid in to the Social Security system, you can draw disability benefits somehow.

There are certain state systems that are designed to replace instead of supplement Social Security. Someone in your school system will know which sort you have.

Marilyn Stamps

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My doctor told me that I might not be able to continue to work because of arthritis, chronic obesity, sleep apnea and hypertension. I took a 25 year retirement from my job. Can I collect retirement and get social security disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 6:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marylin: Yes you can, no problem, provided that you have the most common sort of retirement program.

Lilly

Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband last worked November 2000, after working for 40 years. At 62 he started drawing his regular social security. He is now 63 and has become disabled. His Social Security checks are $1,094 per month. His Base amount if he had retired at 65 and 6 months would have been $1,385.00. If he is approved for disability would his benefit amount change? If so how much? and would it remain the same after age 65, even though he has started drawing at age 62 regular benefits??

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q. If he is approved for disability would his benefit amount change?

A. Yes.

Q. If so how much?

Q. It will be approximately the amount it would be if he had waited till he was 65.

Q. and would it remain the same after age 65?

A. Yes; that is, if he wins the benefits will go up and stay up.

Extra answer to question you didn't ask: And, if he wins, as far as the back time is concerned, they will pay him the difference between what his retirement was, and what his disability would be.

Lilly

Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted a message to you regarding drawing disability after already starting the age 62 regular retirement. Becoming disabled after age 62, You posted your answer and I thank you for it.

I recently called the Social Security office and they told me that my husband would draw approx the same as he would have at age 65, just as you said. But Social went on to say that once my husband became 65 then the payments would be reduced according to how many months he had drawn at 62 on regular retirement, that unfortunately because he started regular at age 62 he would still be penalized once he turned 65. Please Explain I do not understand.

Thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lilly: The short explanation is, "what they say is correct." Their reasoning is that you have so much to draw out, and if you start earlier, in order to draw out the same amount as one who starts later, the amount you draw out each month must be lower.

sam

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 52 and disabled. when i reach 55 i can draw early retirement from where i worked.will that affect my social security disabilty in any way?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 5:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sam, there are a few programs that were designed to be a substitute for Social Security retirement and disability. These are generally state employee programs. They are pretty rare.

If you were now drawing Supplemental Security Income, that check would be affected by any income from any source. But I understand that you are drawing Social Security disability.

If you are not involved with one of these, your retirement should not affect your disability check.

manning mansfield

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does collecting disability prempt getting ss at age 62?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 8:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Often, a person is entitled more than one sort of check. In this case, I assume that you are referring to Social Security Disability and Social Security Retirement.

When you are entitled to more than one sort of check, you generally get an amount equal to whichever check is bigger. Unless Worker's Compensation or a few other programs are involved, disability is always bigger than retirement between 62 and 65.

Worker's compensation can reduce disability but not retirement checks, so if Worker's Comp is involved you can elect to draw retirement instead. But to do that, you have to ask.

Candy Neel

Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I retired from USPS with 25 years.I was disabled at the time and collecting workers comp but opted for a regular retirement.I worked under the private sector jobs for funding to my SS account since my PO time was all civil service.Now I am completely disabled.Can I file for disability from the USPS even though I have already retired?I am 56.
Thankinh you in advance.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know. I know about Social Security, but not about Postal retirement and disability claims.

Kathy Sloan
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 58 yrs old and have become disabled. I have worked the last 3 1/2 yrs full time but have not worked the required credits. Can I collect SSD from my husbands ss benefits. He is 69 and collects social security.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 727

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 6:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, you cannot draw retirement benefits before age 62, except that widows and widowers can begin at age 60.

You should get a copy of your earnings record and take it to an attorney. Often, people who don't quite qualify can struggle and earn a quarter or two and become qualified. You can get your earnings record by calling 1 800 772 1213 and asking for it.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1330

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was posted by DF:

Interesting forum. I have a hypothetical question pertaining to above. One plans to retire at age 62. Then becomes disabled in their 50's and wins a favorable SSD decision therefore collecting SSD. Now, when they reach age 62, I assume the amount they are getting for SSD continues. BUT, lets say at age 63, SS decides they no longer qualify for SSD after a medical exam, etc. If they still want to remain retired, does their SS payment convert back down to the amount they would receive at 62 as if they were never disabled? It's an unlikely scenario but it is possible.

Again, these forums are VERY HELPFUL for lay people who need informative subjective opinions.

(Message edited by admin on July 08, 2005)

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1285

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 6:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming they are found to be "not disabled" as of the age 63, they get retirement as if they retired at 63.

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)bass box pro rapidshare

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I turned 60 in February. I have worked for 45 years have always performed some type of clerical work. I have osteoarthritis, carpel tunnel in both hands, degenerative disk disease and also a couple of herniated disk in lower back. I have been on medication for pain for over 10 years in order to sleep at night.

My job entails 7 1/2 hours per day 5 days a week on a computer.
One doctor told me to limit my computer work to 4 hours per day.

As I set here and write this, my hands, arms and shoulders are aching. And I have only been here for 2 hours.

I take 35 mg of elavil, 45 mg buspar, 1,600 mg ibprofen for pain and depression per day.

I cannot do my housework anymore. I do a little and have to rest. My quality of life is zero.
I feel so bad all the time that I do not enjoy anything anymore.

Do you think that I have a chance of qualifing for disability.

Thank you for your time.
VB of Ky

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1375

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have a shot at it. You have to prove that you cannot do long typing, which should be easy, but that is not enough. You have to prove that you cannot do any other work, either, except perhaps, at your age, unskilled sedentary or light work of the sort you have never done before. Be sure to get the doctor to the list of things you can and cannot do, and run that list by an experienced lawyer.

Take care and good luck.

Dianne Cartter (Diannelynn)
Username: Diannelynn

Post Number: 1

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)bass box pro rapidshare

Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband just turned 57, he has been off from work for 2 months, we just found out that he has two buldging disk in the lower back L4 L5 S1, they want to do a lesi in two weeks to see if that helps, otherwise he will neeed surgery. He also has the start of osteoartheritis in both hips. He's had only 3 jobs in his life, the service. and two companies, all 3 hard labor. Would he have a chance for ssd if he applied?

scott969@bellsouth.net (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have worked full time for 35 years. My health problems have worsened in the past few years. They are problems I could deal with earlier in my life with some difficulty, but lately..it is becoming a strain. I was a radio broadcaster for 10 years and have been a minister for the past 25 years. I have had sciolosis(can't spell that)..a spine curvature that is rather severe in my my lower spine..all my life..it is bent terribly and now causes me to tire easily. I am also totally deaf in my right ear..have been all my life and now have difficulty understanding and hearing my members in my congregation. I do not have health insurance and do not go to the doctor as I have been told neither situation is treatable and chronic. I was wondering where I might stand as regard ss disability.. I am 57 years old..and paid in ss for over 35 years..I was just always willing to work..and tried..thank you..

bass box pro rapidshare
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
bass box pro rapidshare
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.