Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Benefits for People Over 50
motoracer 2 nocd crack xp
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Benefits for People Over 50  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert LaGrange

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)motoracer 2 nocd crack xp

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 7:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your prompt reply. Why would it matter what my age is, as long as I have a disability? You asked what county I live in, it is Clay County. My email address that you requested is below. Thanks again.

Reply by Paul Once you become 50, fair or not, if you do not have clerical skills it becomes easier to get disability. It's right there in the regulations. Whether it should be is a seperate question that I cannot answer any better than you. The rationale is that it is hard for someone who is older to retrain for another job. Take care.

JanDeniseTomlin

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 50 yrs old, and have diabetes. Am taking 2 kinds of sugar pills. I'm also taking Cumidan for blood clot i had twice in right leg within a year apart, my hands and feet go numb all the time, and I have terrible pains in my lower back.
But I have never worked. These things keep me from getting any kind of job, so I want to know am I eligible for SS Disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have never worked, you are not eligible for Social Secuirty Disability on your own record. Since you are over 50, if you are an widow you might or might not be eligible under your husband's record.

There is another program, Supplemental Security Income, that might be available for you. To qualify for that program you must show that you are disabled and have low income and resources.

Proving disability might turn on what kind of work skills and education you have; but if you can show that you are limited to sedentary work, at age 50 your chances improve.

I suggest you sit down and talk with an attorney.

Helen Schrock

Posted on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 6:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If a person received disability benefits earlier in life from a stroke (50-60 age)and is now receiving SS at the age of 78, is the total benefit allowance including the same disability benefits + SS?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me ask the question and then answer it, to be sure I understand.

If I draw disability and later turn 65 and start drawing retirement, what effect does the disabilty benefits have upon my retirement?

If that is the question, the answer is that you are now drawing at least as much retirement as you would have if you never drew disability benefits, and you might be drawing more.

There is no penalty for drawing disability. And, there are two benefits: One, it enables you to wait until age 65 or so to start drawing retirement, so that you do not suffer the penalty for starting your retirement early. Two, if you draw social security disability, the years during which you draw, which would otherwise be counted as years of zero earings for purposes of calculating you retirement amount, are not counted at all.

Sheralene Thompson

Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mother applied for disability benefits in the summer of 2000 and was denied. She appealed, but was again denied and she gave up. She is now 58 years old, a self employed hairdresser (for 30 years) and recently had surgery for a macular hole in her retina. Back in 2000 she had listed back pain, low blood sugar, knee pain (she has had to stand on her feet all these years) and by 2000 had to sit on a stool to get through the day, the pain was so bad. Now, the eye surgeon is not sure that her eyesight (right eye) will ever be good enough to cut hair and suggested another line of work. This is her only source of income and she has now been out of work since November 14, 2002. She has no computer or clerical skills and did not finish high school. Does she have a valid case for disability now? Where can she get help? Thanks.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 5:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sheralene: Yes. She should immediately file. She should retain an attorney and not give up if denied initially. There is a general rule that if one is limited to sedentary work, cannot return to her old work, has no transferrable skills, and is over 50, she is supposed to be found disabled. That rule is often ignored at the initial level.

Patricia Brown

Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 52 years old and I am in the process of applying for SSI. I am currently on State Disability due to chronic knee pain, morbid obesity and hypertention. I have constant knee pain and have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis.I am on medication for pain, high blood pressure, asprin therapy. I am waiting for approval for physical therapy, but I did have an evaluation done and they said I may need surgery. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome. I am concerned because I see alot of responses say that if you have clerical skills you may be denied even if you are over 50. I have problems standing, sitting, bending and lifting. Also stiffness and numbing of my right hand. My income is state disability and I have been on it since April and have been approved until the end of the year. At which time I will be evaluated again. Now,for my question,is my clerical skills going to make it more difficult for me to obtain benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You ask an excellent question. The answer is yes. You have to show why you cannot perform sedentary clerical work.

As one example of how you might do that, if you can show that your osteoarthritis or carpal tunnel prevent you from writing and typing, unless you have managerial level skills, your clerical abilities would do you little good in the job market.

That raises the question of whether your carpal tunnel problems can be cured by an operation; if so there might be some problems with a "failure to comply with prescribed treatment" defense.

Carol Scott

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
I am a 58 year old insulin dependant diabetic (28 years) with diagnosed peripheral neuropathy, sensoral and motor in both legs and degenerative disc situation with siatic nerve involvement in my low back. This past week I find that the numbness in hands (both) is not neuropathy, as I thought, but carpal tunnel and left side ulnar nerve intrapment. I have Medical billing skills. I have an appointment next week to apply for SS disability benefits mostly based on neuropathy. Should I include the confirmed carpal tunnel diagnosis in my claim?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 5:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carol, of course you should include every serious problem in your claim.

Mike Brown

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2001 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How much does the rules change once one becomes 50 years old? I live in Oklahoma....

Reply by Paul If you are limited to sedentary work, over 50, have not performed sedentary work, and have no transferrable skills, your odds go up considerably.

Lyn Neely

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband is 58 yrs of age, he had a stroke in 97 while he lost his right hand and leg movements, with constant training he got it back to normal.
He had a real bad accident about 15 yrs ago and they put pins in his shoulder till it healed. He now has arthritis in his right arm so to the fact that he can not qualify with his gun, (he is a chief deputy in law enforcement) In July of this yr he had a quad bypass. The doctor say that the heart and lung machine that he was on during the surgery has brought out the emphysema, also his memory has really got bad since the surgery, the Dr. has had him go to a Psychologist, that says the he has 1.cognitive disorder 2. obsessive compulsive traits 3.stress causing attention and concentration (another words) she said he has anxiety. and should be put on prozac or some medicine of this trate for about 9 months.
Because of his memory and arm he has lost his job. He would be retiring in a few years anyway but after 20 yrs in this job he has only social security. The sheriff has wrote a very nice letter stating why he has had to let him go and will help in anyway he can. So with
High blood pressure
quad bypass
memory problems
emphysema
arthritis
Do you think he can get SSD
Thank you
Lyn

Reply by Paul I sure hope so. He must file if he cannot work. To be sure to win he must be sure his paper medical record reflects his real impairments. Commonly, medical records will have a lot of information about diagnoses and treatment, but little about the limitation of function, the impairments, that result from the condition. And, most doctors and regular folks don't know what set of imparments are sufficient to keep a particular person from working under the Commissioner's rules.

It is possible that, as serious as your husband's condition is, he will be allowed if he files on his own. But your odds will increase if you get an attorney now. If you are turned down the first time, you should certainly get one.

Be very careful with your money; it often takes longer than expected.

Take care.

Patricia Weister (Weister)

Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what to do. I am 51 years old, I live in Clemmons, NC. My spouse is disabled and I am concerned with my health.
In 1977, my right lung had collasped four times, and then I had surgery. The Doctor tacked my lung to the rib cage. ( Spontanious Pneumothorax).
1986, I had a work accident with a 10 percent disability in left shoulder.
1989,my left lung had collasped three times and I had the same kind of surgery as in 1977.
I have been diagnosed with asthma, GERD, depression, anxiety, and now with Rotators Cuff in the right arm.
I am in constant pain, a I have a lot of muscle spasms and I also get bronchitis, and pneumonia every winter. (I think I am allergic to the cold,ha,ha).
I have a hard time of holding a job because I appear to be always sick with something.
In 1981, I took classes to be a nurses assistant and Quaified Aide,
1991, I went to a business College ( advise from the Society Security Dr). I did this, I had tried to work,but I worked various jobs, and quit or get fired.
I finally got a job 1996, although I missed a lot of work, due to be sick. The company was bought out and I was put on probation for missing to much work.
It had gotten to a point I just can't do it anymore. I had just quit last week.
Do you think I can get disability this time?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You must file if you are not able to work. At 50 it becomes easier to win a disability case. If you can prove that you have a condition that causes you to miss a lot of work on an unpredictable basis, that can be a grounds for disability. As always, talk to an attorney who handles this kind of case.

Patricia Weister (Weister)

Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, I have been leary of talking to an attorney, but I think I will. My family has been trying to get me to file for years, but I have this thing about the word disability. I have a hard time of excepting my health problems. I try to ignore them, but it is hard to do, when I can hardly make it and I try to take one day at time.
Again thank you

Judy Hogue

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 50 plus female and I need to know how a person gets started on getting SS Disability. I worked for almost 10 years at a sewing factory and it destroyed my neck and the bones in my neck. I cannot stand for more than 20 minutes at the sink before my back hurts me to the point I almost pass out from pain and if I do not sit down I will pass out. No pain medication will help at that point. But my neck hurts me sitting, standing or anything. What does a person do? Can you advise anything? Thank you Judy in Texas. I am unemployed and I have no money. I cannot pay if there is a fee for this service or advise.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 7:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you turn 50 your odds of winning a disability claim increase, particularly if you have performed work that is not very skilled and cannot stand, walk or lift.

You should get an attorney. Most attorneys charge a percentage of the back time, and do not ask for money up front.

Bob

Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Im Bob I had open heart surgery Feb.2003 I had a arotic anuyusam a new machanical valve put in a O ring but in around the mitral valve a hole between the 2 champers repaired as a result of a old heart attack a year before also a bypass was done Iam 59 yr.old have worked for 40 years as a sheet metal worker also a maintenance worker but now my doctor says no more so i applied for disapility well 10 monthes later im turned down my guestion i thought machanical parts according to there book ss. is a yes for disability im in ohio i have appealled this. S.S even said you cannot go back to your jobs if any why would they turn me down then the first time upset here. Thank you for any input on this

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob, I am sorry; I overlooked both of your messages, and had to take some time off from the website to get some work done, too.

If you have no transferrable work skills and are limited to sedentary work, at your advanced age you should have been found disabled. Why you were not might be explained if you look at the medical records that the Administration had in front of it. If some are bad, you ought to get an attorney to help you fix that.

It often happens that when I see the medical records, I am baffled as to why the Administration might have turned someone down. When it does, you must hire an attorney and appeal. Don't give up and don't despair.

Bobobutt540@AOL.COM

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have asked several questions to Paul but u get no replay am I asking the wrong questions or what Ona of the questions was prtaing to the SSDblue book Please replay Thank You Bob

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And you also asked this elsewhere:
Hi Im Bob I am 58 I had a arotic anuyursm a bypass A heart attack a year ago a mitral valve ring put in and a machaneal valve put in for the arotic needless to say im on 5mg.of coumadine a day along with asprin tproxl and zocor after 10 monthes od waiting for a answer it was no now they said i cant go back to my jobs alot or restiction and probley no job but yet ssd turn me down what are you supposed to do with no income can anyone help THANKS

Bob: At 58, if you have only done manual labor and can't do it, you are close to winning a Social Security disability case. But someone would need to see your entire medical record to be sure. Among other things, you should certainly file for benefits.

Dave Holeman

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am writing on behalf of my mother...she is 62 and wants to retire early and receive reduced social security benefits due to a debilitating condition of her knees and back. Reduced benefits from her social security will not be enough income. Her doctor backs her up that she should not be working anymore...does she have a good chance of qualifying for SSDI or SSI to help make up the difference in her income? Also what health insurance might she qualify for?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, It is a lot easier to get Social Security Disability once you get in your 60's, or even in your 50's, if you have only had jobs that call for basic manual skills, and you cannot do them any more.

People who might be disabled should almost always file a disability claim along with their retirement claim. There is no down side. You get the decreased retirement amount at first, but if you later win your disability claim, you get the difference between the two, and your monthly check is permanently raised.

Linda Hunter

Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 56 I have Gerd, Diverticuitis, arthritis, buldging disc in my back, hernia, degenerative disc disease. I used to be a waitress then I tried working in a convience store but my back hurts to bad and I have pulled muscles in my stomach so when I try to reach or bend down I have a lot of pain. Do you think I would qualify. Thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Linda, it is possible. At 56 it becomes easier to win a claim. All you have to show is that you cannot return to your prior work, you have no transferrable skills, and you are limited to light work. If you cannot work, you might consider filing, and of course if you are denied you should get an attorney.

BOB LOEB

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IF A PERSON IS 100% VA DISABLED AT AGE 59 AND DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH QUARTERS PAID IN BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS RELATED TO HIS DISABLITIES,CAN HE QUALIFY FOR SSDI?

bob

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI THIS IS Bob the one with arotic valve anuyrusm repaired a bypass IAM 59 now I GET SICK ALOT nothing has changed on the disability I just received my second denial they say i cant go back to my old jobs as a manual labor if any but i can do samething else so my laywer will appeal again i have wrote several times and Paul has always answered me the best he good and I thank you sir for that. I am at my witts end with this Ihave the cardigolist say do not returned i havent been able to work 40hours a week sice this happen im luckey to work 12hours a week

BOB

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you think I will win before the judge Paul I have talked to several doctors even someone who works for the disability said at my age 59 and the heart things going on I would be found disable and year and half later denied the second time because of the anuyersum reparied and ever thing fixed i guess they feel im ok. they put new parts in a old heart and old body and disability says you cant do your old job if any so go away. What do you think Paul Thank you again for you answeres

BOB

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bY THE WAY THIS IS BOB FROM OHIO. SO THIS MIGHT BE WHY I KEEP GETTING TURNED DOWN THIS STATE IS IN DEEP FINACIAL TROABLE NO ONE IS GETTING ANYTHING COULD THAT BE PAUL THANKS

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob, it is good that you have an attorney. He almost certainly knows the way the judge in your case thinks, and what the doctor has said, and what your judge has done with such evidence in the past. So he is the best to tell you what your chances are.

The financial difficulties of Ohio have nothing to do with your difficulties. The difficulties of the Federal Social Security system do have something to do with your problems. Take care.

Carol Lawson
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 56 yr old female that has worked in clerical support positions (mostly sedatary positions). I have suffered with DDD and DJD (arthritis) in my back,neck&hip since I was 45. The clerical work I am able to do has contributed to my disability over the years. I have medical documentation, RE: back surgery, knee surgery, and many xrays and MRI's. I have been given muscle relaxers, steroid medications, pain medication, physical therapy. The condition in my back causes numbness to my hip and leg. I can not walk for any length of time with out my hip going out.I can't walk, sit, stand with out pain.
I recently moved from Maine to North Carolina leaving my full time job. I have to carry Cobra insurance in which is very costly. My husband is 63 and is working full time, however my income is needed to make ends meet. We have very little savings and that will be gone soon. I have been to Urgent care twice, and the medication has helped the pain in my hip, but side effects caused knee joints to swell, where I could not walk. I can't work on the computer because of the arthritis in my neck. I can't drive long distances in the car, stand or walk long distances without my legs getting numb or pain. I recently had an MRI of my back, to check for any heriated disc, since the pain seems to be coming from my back that is affecting my hip and leg.
I have applied for 2 jobs since I have moved and have managed to get my husband to take me to one for an interview. I am not able to apply for any positions because Iam unable to walk. I also, have high Blood pressure and I am on medication. My vision is blurry, so I am not able to see the computer clearly. I am not sure what to do. In my situation, am I eligible for any kind of assistance from Social Security Disability, or could you advise me, where else to go for some assistance. I will soon loose my insurance, because we can not pay for it.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 738

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 5:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you cannot attend work on a predictable basis, you are eligible for Social Security disability, and should apply.

If you can prove that your work contributed to disability, you might be able to claim worker's compensation; you probably have to check with a Main lawyer to find out. This might be difficult because of proof deadline problems; you should do this quickly.

There are other possible forms of assistance that might be available while you are waiting for Social Security to start. There is a page on this website about free medications.

Do not give up the COBRA insurance without a struggle. Can your kids help you pay those premiums, or anyone else?

charlotte childers (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 61 year old female. i have fibromyalgia, and also ostearthritis, and carpal tunnel in the left hand. I have had fibromyalgia for about 10 or 12 years, maybe longer, have been seeing a arthritis dr since the beginning. the pain is so severe. i get up in the mornings, can hardly walk, My hips hurt so bad i can hardly sit for very long at a time. i have always done clerical work, and now it is so bad i can not sit long enough to do any clerical work. my neck and spine and hip hurts really bad from the osteoarthritis at times i can hardly go, can hardly sleep at all, never get a good nights sleep, get up so tired can hardly go, can never get my house work done, and my memory is getting worse and worse, can not remember anything, i have not worked since 1998. what are my chances of getting disability?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1278

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You certainly have a shot at it. And if you are not working you have little to lose. You must show you have worked enough to get disability, so be sure to allege an early onset date. Get a lawyer if you are turned down, and maybe talk to an attorney right now. Take care.

john williams (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,, I have always been a carpenter / concrete worker, 55 yr old male with 9 yr old son that I am paying support for to x-wife.. I have been recently diagnosed with 3 ruptered disk.. one in neck.. one in middle back and one in lower lombar.. Have had problems for beginning at age 17 but has gradualy woresen to where I haven't worked since Aug 2002.. my savings is running out and so are my options. I have applied to SS for disability and am waiting for a judgement.. My problems include getting very little sleep, various head shoulder and arm problems. and permanat pain some numbness in lower back, hips, legs and a few other roving, daily problems.. Question is do you think they will require me to have operation to attempt to correct problems, or will they give me the disability because of my age?? Would appriciate your thoughts on this.. johnw

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1363

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q: Do you think they will require me to have operation to attempt to correct problems

A: I have had some judges complain that a person should not be able to get disability if he refuses a back condition, but usually that is not a problem if you get a doctor to say that it would not be a good idea. Back operations are so dangerous that you can almost always find a doctor to do this. You need to have a lawyer to be sure you have worked through that properly, probably.

Q: Or will they give me the disability because of my age?

A: Not just because of your age. You also have to show that you cannot return to your old work, that you have no skills transferrable into light or sedentary work, and, since you are over 55, you would also have to show that you were limited to sedentary or light work. So the fact that you are older helps, but it is not all you have to show.

PamS (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 53 year old female who has been doing clerical work for the past 15 years. I had a workmans comp claim for cumulative neck and low back injuries which was settled in my favor but I was not able to return to my job due to restictions.
I have always dealt with anxiety but chose not to take medications I have been experiencing this more often lately but still having a hard time being convinced to take meds that cause other problems.

I have been off work for 2 years, during this time I managed to get my real estate license and I am a Notary Public. I have been able to get a little work with my Notary, signing loan documents but I have to schedule appointments around my good days. I was hoping I would be able to do more if I was under control of my time,
but I have had to restrict myself due to the pain.

I have been told I should apply for Social Security disability since I cannot work regularly.

Do you think it would be worth all the paperwork?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1502

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost certainly. If you cannot work, you must consider filing.

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)motoracer 2 nocd crack xp

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My ex husband, age 57 has recenty received ss disability. I have been in court to evict him from my land for two years and likely will be awarded monetary damages for the damage he has caused to my separate property as well as attorney fees.
Can he be made to pay with some portion of what he has received as well as the monthly income he also gets?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.