Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Q. about How Far Back My Benefits Can Go
crack silo 1.4
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Q. about How Far Back My Benefits Can Go  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        
crack silo 1.4

crack silo 1.4
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Toby Perry

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)crack silo 1.4

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our daughter has a terminal illness and has been approved for SSI. She has had illness since birth,is the entitlement backdated to birth or just diagnosis?????

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 5:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For SSI, you get benefits from the later of two dates: the date of application or the date of disability. The date of disability for your daughter would be her date of birth, if you can prove she was disabled then. The date of diagnosis is irrelevant. There is a different rule for Social Security Disability, which would not apply to your daughter's case. Take care.

Sam

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 1:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey paul this is sam again.the good news is that they approved my disability. my question is what month will they use for starting month of disability for my 2 year waiting period for medicare. the month that they say that the 5 month waiting period started or the month that my first check started,thanks for all your help,sam

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You get Medicare two years after the month in which the Administration admits you should have gotten your first check. Once you have been approved, here is how to figure that month:

When you get approved, you will get 3 things in the mail. A large check, your first monthly check, and a notice explaining how much money you are supposed to get. That notice will list the months that you should have gotten checks for. Find the earliest month listed. Add two years. That will be the date Medicare starts.

shun smith
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was approved for period of diasbility, ssi, dib
i beginning being diasbiity in 6/21/2002 and i was just approved dec 9,2004 so will i get backpay for 1or 2 year

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 946

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 6:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That depends on when they say you became disabled. If they say you became disabled yesterday, you will get no back pay. If they say you became disabled on 6/2002, and you applied that same day, you will draw from that date for SSI, and from 6 months after that date for DIB.

You can generally draw from the date you apply, or the the Administration says you became disabled, whichever is later, for SSI.

You can generally draw from a year before the date you apply, or 6 months after the day you become disabled, for DIB.

Sorry its so complicated.

crack silo 1.4
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
crack silo 1.4
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.