Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Q. about the Effect of Marriage on a ...
megaman x6 free download
Social-Security-Disability-Forum » Q. about the Effect of Marriage on a Disability Claim  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Common Law Marriage and SSICarmen Lee 6-06-06  4:09 pm
  Start New Thread        
megaman x6 free download

megaman x6 free download
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)megaman x6 free download

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 67 years old drawing social security benefits since I was 62. These are on my own personal wages, not of the previous spouse. I am now considering remarriage. Will my present benefits be altered if I remarry?

Paul McChesney

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For people drawing Social Security Retirement or Social Security disability, if you draw on your own record, your marriage status does not matter. If you draw on your spouse's record, your marriage status can affect your check in very complicated ways.

For people drawing SSI, a portion of your spouse's income is "deemed" to be yours, and so his or her income can affect or eliminate your check.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2001 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM ON SSI DISABILITY. WILL I LOSE MY CHECK AMOUNT OR BENEFITS IF I GET MARRIED?
AND DOES SSI PAY CHILD SUPPORT FOR A DISABLED FATHER WHO HAS BEEN ORDERED TO PAY BY A COURT?

Paul McChesney

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2001 - 5:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might lose your benefits or have them reduced if you get married. It depends on your husband or wife's income.

If you get a Social Security Disability check, your child might get a check that might satisfy your support obligations.

However, if all you are getting is SSI, there is no such check paid to your children.

In either case, you might or might not have to pay additional child support; that is a question of family law that varies from state to state; you would have to ask a local attorney.

sandra

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why are there no actual dollar amounts that reflect how much SSI is lowered after marriage? What happens is I just live with my mate? I onced called The social security administration office and posed the question about marriage, the person was very rude. She got demanding and said if I got married I better tell her right now. Then she preceded to really grill me about other matters and said if I was lying she would find out? Some people in positions really excert a power play.

Reply by PaulSC is a common law state, and the Administration always claims that individuals are married when they live together. In that case the income of the spouse is counted, and as the spouse's income goes up, the amount of the person's disability check goes down. How much it goes down is a complicated question, that depends on how much of the spouse's income is earned, and on how many dependants live in the house. It might also vary from state to state.

If you can prove that you are living with someone as a border, for instance, these rules do not apply. However, around here, the Administration is very hostile to finding this situation, since it means that people who live together without benefit of clergy get a better deal than the married. Be very careful, or the Administration could claim a very large overpayment in the future.

I do not know, and would like to know, how this is handled in other states.

To perform the actual calculation in your case, you would need either a sympathetic person at the local Social Security Office, an unlikely possibility, or perhaps someone at legal aid? I am sorry; I cannot perform the calculation from this distance.

Jean Hamon

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My fiance' was diagnosed w/brain, liver, lung and bone cancer. We would still like to get married even though it won't be for long. He was approved for SSI 6 months ago. I drive schoolbus and only make about $700 per month 9 months of year. Will my income, small as it is, mess up his SSI? I have a son on SSI and when he reached 21, my income didn't affect HIM anymore. If it will cause my fiance' to lose his SSI, I will not marry him. Please help. Time is short.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are married, your income can affect the amount of his SSI check. I would be reluctant to guess exactly how much; that is so important a question I would want to be positive. Some rules as to income and resources vary by state.

Income of the spouse does NOT affect a Social Security Disability check, which is based on the disabled person's income.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 3:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I plan to get married I am applying for SSI and my spouse is receiving ssi will there be any affects since we both don't have any other source of income and will be living with my parents here in Texas because we are both adults.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There could be an effect. Once you are married, you and your spouse have a combined maximum SSI check and a combined maximum allowed income and resources.

If you and your spouse were drawing Social Security Disability on your own records, there would be no effect.

If one of you were drawing SSI or Widow's or Widower's benefits, marriage could have an effect.

kim

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a canadian ... looking to marry a man in md ! he is on disability .. if i come there and marry and work ... will his disability cover my medical and will his disability check go down ?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2002 - 6:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. His disability will not cover your medical expenses.

2. If he has a Social Security Disability check, neither your presence, nor your marital status, nor your income will affect his check. But if he is drawing SSI, they might.

3. Hang on to your Canadian citizenship. Canada is a civilized country, that provides medical benefits to all citizens at a price far lower than the US citizenry as a whole pays. If you develop a serious health problem, and become uninsurable down here, and don't mind a little cold weather, you have a place to go.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a friend who is collecting SSI. He and I would like to move in together. I receive child support for my child and have no other income at the moment. Would this cut the amount of his check? This would be in AL. Do they take into consideration how many people are in the household?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This question is impossible to answer as stated. You should check with local legal aid, maybe. But the income of others in the houshold can affect the amount of SSI in varying circumstances.

Sally

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 4:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I get SSI and was woundering if you could answer a question. I have 2 little girls one is 4 years old and the other is 3 months and I was woudering if I was to get married to the man who is the father of my kids would that affect my SSI check because I am not supposed to be living by myself I am supposed to have someone there with me at all times to help me with house work and with the kids because of all my medical problems? There father doesn't work and I can't live with my grandparents the rest of my life and I was wanting to find a place to live. So do you think it would effect my SSI? If you or anyone else has any suggestions you can email me. I would greatly appriciate it thank you

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sally: The amount of income of your spouse who lives with you can affect the amount of your check. If he has no income, his presence in the house will not affect the check. But if he goes to work, it will. That does not mean you should not get married, of course. If his income is high, and he has insurance for you, you might be better off that way. Maybe talk to legal aid to see exactly what would happen in your particular case. Take care.

yvonne thomas

Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

COULD SOMEONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR ME PLEASE,I'M HAVING DIFFICULTLY BUYING MEDICINE AND CAN'T GET HELP EVEN THOUGH MY SSHUSBAND DRAWS A VERY SMALL CHECK FROM SSI.THANK YOU

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 5:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your question requries more detail before it can be answered.

If you are drawing SSI, the income of your spouse can affect the amount of your check, and can affect whether you are entitled to Medicaid.

The expenses of two households are such that it is usually not sensible to seperate just to get more money, and of course it shouldn't be set up that way.

But unfortunately, if your spouse's income disqualifies you for Medicaid, sometimes insurance coverage is so critical that seperation is one of several alternatives, sometimes the only alternative that might get you coverage.

Of course, this is fairly outrageous.

If you are drawing Social Security Disability, there is no such problem.

chuck

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

will getting married affect my benefits

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 5:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your benefits are Social Security Disability on your own record, no. If your benefits are SSI, possibly, if your spouse has income. If widow's benefits, possibly, be careful and talk to a lawyer before you get married.

(Message edited by admin on March 19, 2006)

joyce robinson

Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my question is i am receiving ssi i have been living with a man for 15 yrs & was from the time i applied & received, he was also receiving ssi,when i filed, i filed single because i was & am divorced, well i received my benefits as single, but he turned 65, 2yrs. ago& recieved medicare, then they lowered my ssi, because when he sighned up he misunderstood the question do you consider yourself married & answered yes because he was married & seperated,but they thought he was saying that he considered he & i as married so reduced my ssi according to what he makes when he started getting his medicare. neithered one of us consideres us being married to each other. he also was receiving the same amount as i was in the beginning, i was wondering if it would be wiser for me to get in touch with them & complain or if it would make any difference & what would happen if we did get married? or if we would make more by living alone? i live in new york. thanks for any help you can give me.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 5:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You ask a good question. I am scared to give an answer. The answer turns in part on the state law concept of marriage, which in general is a simple question, but can sometimes be a complex one, as in your case. You should talk to a New York attorney. Sorry to be so little help; but I would be even less if I said something wrong and mislead you.

paris high

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes am married but been seprated for bout 6yrs,she is over my check can i put like my mom over my check,dont get any money when my check comes in.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry; are you, paris high, the same person as joyce robinson? I don't know whether to read your two questions together or not.

Terrel A. Barnett

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was disabled for life as a child and have received SSDI from my father's account (he died in 1972) as soon as I was eligible. I am now considering marriage. Would any of the SSDI money from my father's account continue, or would I be eligible under my husband's account after marriage, or neither? I have not worked enough to earn my own Social Security benefits. I am 47 years old; my fiance is 49. Thank you.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You ask an extremely important question. Unless you marry someone who is also disabled and drawing most but not all sorts of disability benefits, your benefits will stop when you marry. If the benefits matter to you, do not marry until you talk to an attorney and think it over.

Michele White

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My boyfriend is disabled for life with a spinal cord injury from 8 years ago. We would like to get married, but are unsure if this is possible. He is currently on Medicaid and Medicare, and we are both students in college who will graduate within the next year. When we get married, he will almost certainly lose his benefits, and we will be unable to afford his medical care. If I were to get a job with an option for spousal health insurance, would he likely be exempted from the benefits? I guess what I really need to know is whether or not his disability can be considered a preexisting condition, or would he be eligible for coverage just as anyone else would?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michelle: Sorry to be so slow about getting back to you.

You are probably facing a difficult choice. If he is on Medicare, I assume he is drawing a Social Security Disability check, and had worked enough to qualify for this before his injury. That check and the Medicare should not be affected by marriage.

But, whenever your income is high enough, he should be disqualified for Medicaid, and for any SSI check he might be getting. There are other ways to get free medicine, which Medicare does not cover, but they do not work all that well.

I know very little about getting him covered under your health insurance. That is an important question that you should continue to search for the answer to.

dee

Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how will getting married effect my ssdi?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 6:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dee: If you are drawing Social Security disability off of your own record, not at all.

If you are drawing SSI, your husband's income will now affect your check.

If you are drawing Social Security Disability off of your parent's record, or a deceased spouse's record, in most but not all cases you will lose these benefits when you remarry.

The occasions when marriage will not end these benefits are complex. I would suggest that anyone who is drawing benefits off of the record of a spouse or parent talk to an attorney, and a good one, before remarrying.

james

Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am currently 21 years old and i have been receiving SSI since i was 19. i am looking forward to marriage over the next year or so. i am wondering if this would affect my ssi benefits? I receive medicare and a monthly check with maximum benefits. It's not just the reduction of the monthly check that concerns me, but it is the reduction of medicade benefits.

my spouse to be currently has no income. Will any of these benefits cover my wife? child?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your family unit has no income except SSI, your check should not change; but if that ever changes, your check will, too.

If you draw Social Security Disability benefits, your family members sometimes get a check, but that is not so with SSI.

susan russell

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i plan on getting married. will my husband be eligible for my social security and will that affect my daughters eligibility?

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 5:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Susan, I cannot answer this question as you ask it. Let me ask some related questions, and answer them:

Q. If I get SSI and get married to someone who has income, will that affect my check?
A. If the income is high enough, yes.

Q. If I get Social Security disability on my own record, will marriage affect my check, or the check my daughter draws because I am drawing one?
A. No.

Q. If I am drawing benefits as a widow, and remarry, will that affect my check, or that of my daughter, who is drawing a survivor's check?
A. It will cause your check to be cut off in most, but not all, situations. It will not affect your daughter's check. You should sit down with a lawyer before you get married and see if there is anything that can be done to preserve your check.

Jamie2003

Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My fiance has had SSI, Medicare, & Medicaid since 5/00. My would like to get married soon, but we want to have an idea of what benefits we might lose. She also went in for surgery at a hospital, where a flash fire occured from the oxygen and she had 3rd degree burns all over her face and chest. Since this happened, she has a lot of office visits with dermatologists, plastic surgeons. She also has bad arthritis, which is more office visits. Medicaid & Medicare have paid in full for all surgeries, medicine, office visits. etc. A lot of the surgeries will be reimbursed to Medicare through our lawsuit. Basically my question is this: Will she lose all her benefits? Will Medicare & Medicaid pay for her visits since they are from an injury that happened before we get married? Thank You

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jamie: You must be very careful about getting married if you have Medicaid, SSI, or Social Security of any sort that is based on a former spouse's record or your parent's record. Also Medicare which is based on your former spouse's record or parent's record. With any of these benefits, marriage can affect your eligibility. You should sit down and talk to an attorney before you get married. For some reason, the Administration often gives faulty answers to questions in this area, so be very careful.

AMY

Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IF YOU ALREADY RECIEVE SOCIAL SERCURITY/DISABILITY,DOES GETTING MARRIED AFFECT THESE BENEFITS.

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amy, the answer is, "Probably not, but sometimes it does, so be careful!!" If you are drawing Social Security Disability benefits based on your own record, no. But if you are drawing as a widow, or as a disabled adult child, it will probably cut off benefits; and if you are drawing SSI it might reduce them by a portion of your spouse's income.

Travis Polk

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been disabled for 5 years now and just had my disability reinstated for 3 more years. My fiance has been disabled for 5 months now an we bought recieve checks for our disabilities. Mine was filed before I even met her and her disabilities are new. Since we both recieve different checks, would our marriage affect the amount we make? It would be impossible to live off only one of our months checks not to mention how it would affect our ability to go to doctors appointments and get our medecines regularly. Please help!

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Linda: Most people who have worked as much as you have qualify for Social Security disability. Under this program you will get an amount of benefits based on how much you have earned. Your assets, and your spouse's assets, do not matter.

If you have not worked much, you might only be eligible for SSI. That program only pays if you and your husband are broke and have a very low income.

Kaitlyn

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey Paul.. can you tell me if the advice you give is the same from state to state? I'm just wondering if my disability benefits and those of my children (on my own record) will be at all affected by my future marriage.. from reading the responses above, I'd guess no, but I am in Michigan so I'm not sure... Also, does it matter if he is the natural father of our two children? I really can't afford to lose my medical benefits, any help you could lend would be appreciated...

Paul McChesney (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey Paul.. can you tell me if the advice you give is the same from state to state?

A. Some of it does, some of it doesn't. By in large the Social Security disability program does not - the main exception has to do with worker's compensation offsets.

If you draw SSI, the amount can vary, and the income eligibility can vary, but the disability part of the test is the same.

I'm just wondering if my disability benefits and those of my children (on my own record) will be at all affected by my future marriage.. from reading the responses above, I'd guess no, but I am in Michigan so I'm not sure...

A. That is Social Security Disability, so unless there is worker's comp involved, there should be no difference.

Also, does it matter if he is the natural father of our two children?

A. No.

Claxtonmom
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My boyfriend has been getting Disability since he was a child which he has drawn from his fathers benifits..We are wanting to get married our SS office told me that we are not able to get married without him losing his benifits, Is this so and if it is how can we gwt around this he is 42 years old, I can not believe that the government can tell you who you can married and not married when you are disable.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 790

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, he is free to marry, but the government is free to cut off the check. I do not defend it, but it is a fact.

vee sawyer
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MY father received SSDI. Will his check be affected if my mother is approved for SSDI also?

vee sawyer
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

correction... my father receives SSI. Will his check be affected if my mother is approved for SSDI also.

Tonya
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mom recieves SSI and Medicade. She want to marry a guy that recieves SSDI and medicare. will this affect either of thier benifits?

Chuck Wolk
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been living with a woman who was disabled when we were in a car accident in 1987. She was only 17 when the accident happened and was not eligable for anything but SSI. She is a t-6 par and collects SSI and Medical. We live in California and would like to finally get married. We have been very carefull as to not let anyone at the state know we live together. However, we would like to know if the laws have changed so we can get married and not have it effect her Medical. We know that she may loose her SSI check because I make about $30,000 a yr, but I cannot afford her medical expenses, She has had 10 opperations in 15 years including 4 in 2001 alone. The chances are she will likely have numerous opperations throughout her life. My religious beliefs way heavey on my mind.

Concerned SSI GUY
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings:

My fiance and I have contemplated marriage for quite some time. Based on my disability, I receive SSI and Medicaid. The SSI money that I receive would not be a big deal to lose, but because of health problems, I need insurance. Currently we are both in school (law and Ph.D program), so we may just have to wait until one of us has insurance. Can you tell me how to formulate the amount that would be lost due to her income from her graduate work? We live in NC, so any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy Dale Smith (Smokeyground)
Username: Smokeyground

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 7:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recieve SSDI on my fathers record, and i plan on getting married my future spouse has no income; she takes care of me full time. I know my benefits on my fathers record would stop, and i would have to rely on SSI. My question is what could i expect as far as benefits? would my benefits go up to the level of couple? or would i recieve a check as well as my future spouse? would she be eligible for medicaid? please help im in the dark about all this.

Mayra A
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get SSI and my Fiance does to. We are procastinating getting married because if we do we will loose some of our benefits. Can we get married by a pastor (ceremony) and not file a marriage license? Do we still have to report this to SS even though its not legal?

Lucy
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)megaman x6 free download

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recieve ssi.I am getting married to a man that makes 60,000.00 a year and we have 4 children between us. When i get married will I still recieve my benefits or will they stop?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 869

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lucy, depends on whether you are getting SSI, in which case you are going to have trouble and probably no check, or Social Security disability, in which case you will have no trouble at all.

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)megaman x6 free download

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My boyfriend has renal failure. He is waiting for a kidney transplant. Is on dialysis the whole 9 yards. We want to get married but affraid that his benefits will go away. He only gets $350 a month. I make $1200 a month but it's only a temperary job and I don't know how long it's going to last. What will happen and will he get the S.S. that is taken out of my check every week?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1021

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, he won't get the benefit of your contributions, at least not right away. It depends on whether he is getting Social Security disability, which is not affected by the income of his wife, or SSI, also called Supplemental Security Income, which is. If the latter, be sure to find out exactly what he would draw if you were married before taking that step.

You should also be concerned about Medicaid, if he has it. Marriage might or might not affect that. Check that, too.

Sorry you have to worry about stuff like this. In Canada, everybody has Medicare and they pay less per capita for health care and people can marry when they want.

Christina (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My boyfriend currently lives in California. He has spastic quadriplegia CP and receives SS Disability, SSI, and Disability money from his mother as well (as she is also physically disabled). He plans to move to Virginia this summer. We hope to get married next summer, in 2007.

I work as a teacher. I don't make a whole lot of money. I wonder how his finances will be after we marry. What would he lose? Will he still be able to keep some of his earnings? He will not have a job for at least another two years, as he is finishing his degree.

Christina

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1111

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christina: He might lose both! Be careful. Hire a lawyer who does a lot of Social Security disability and pay him a little money to get a definite answer.

It is a bit upsetting that the law is set up this way; I wish I could change it for you.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am recieving SSI and medicade, I plan to marry and am concerned about loosing my benifits, He is self employed and this past year did not make more that 24,000. Will I loose my benifits (both of them) Or will there just be a reduction in my check. #2 Where would I go besides the SSI administration to find the accurate answer to this extreamly important question, I'm also going to be recieving a WIA grant to obtain a career in hairdressing how will this be effected?

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In reguards to my questions I forgot to mention Im a New Jersey resident.

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1110

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, it is very possible that you will lose your benefits.

To find out for sure, hire a lawyer who does a lot of Social Security disability and pay him a little money to get a definite answer.

Take care.

syd boyle (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 4:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in Seattle and have just been approved for disability and have also been approved for SSI backpay terminating at the point that I got married about a year and a half ago. My wife is in debt well over 25K and basically has no money left over to even buy a coffee after she cashes her paycheck. Is there any way I can contest the spousal penalty imposed upon my case if I can present the debt as evidence?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1121

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume you mean that you are not drawing Social Security disability now, perhaps because you have not worked much, but that you would be drawing SSI were it not for the fact that your wife made so much money. And I assume that your question is whether large debts cause some waiver in the rule that your spouse's income is counted to reduce your SSI payment. The answer is, "maybe it should, but it does not."

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are single and on ssdi then get married do you lose your benefits?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1122

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous: If by SSDI you mean Social Security disability benefits on your own record, the answer is, "no, you don't lose your benefits if you get married."

If you are drawing SSI, however, your spouse's benefits will be counted against you, and if you are drawing widower's benefits or widow's benefits, your check will sometimes, BUT NOT ALWAYS be terminated.

cathy hough (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM 36 AND BEEN ON SSI SINCE I WAS LITTLE. I
LIVE WITH MY PARENTS AND WANT TO GET MARRIED,BUT I WAS TOLD I WOULD LOSE EVERYTHING. IS THIS TRUE?
I HAVE BEEN WITH MY MAN FOR 6 IN A HALF YRS.I REALLY WANT TO GET MARRIED,BUT DO NOT WANT A BIG WEDDING. CAN U HELP ME?

Paul McChesney (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1123

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You well might lose everything. Sit down and talk to a lawyer who handles a lot of Social Security and be positive, though. It is very upsetting that the system is structured like this.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM A 25 YEAR OLD DIALYSIS PATIENT WHO RECIEVE'S SSI DISABILITY FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS. IN MAY OF 2006 I AM SUPPOST TO GET A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT. WILL I LOOSE MY BENIFITS?
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!
HOPEFULL AND STRESSFULL

kzsw (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi -

First off thanks for answering my question Sir. I am moving to North Carolina and my boyfriend wants to get married. I receive disability and was just renewed for three years. Will our marriage affect my disability payments? I keep seeing "on your own record." what does this mean. And how do you determine whether you are receiving disability or SSI?

Carmen Orlowski (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 6:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in WI--am 27 years old. my boyfriend is 32 and has severe hemophilia---he's on disability and has never worked. could we ever get married or even just live together? This is so upsetting as I want these things. I am currently on social security disability from my own records but hope to get better and be off it in the future. There is no way we could afford his blood products which are 15,000-20,000/month(he gets help from 3 sources right now to pay for the blood=medicaid/care, another govt program and his tribe--he is part Mohican and lives on a reservation). what can we do? this is so depressing. disabled people should have the right to "normal" lives too. please help:-(

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi i was wondering if you could help me i get ssi because i am unable to work. I wanted to get married and i was wondering if i would lose my check or if it would be lowered do to my boyfriends income of about 30 thousand a year. please help me ! this is in NY state

megaman x6 free download
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out  
megaman x6 free download
This site is maintained by Paul McChesney, an attorney who has been practicing disability law for around 25 years in North and South Carolina.

If the subject of disability is important to you, or if you want to find out more about us, you should explore the rest of this site. To do so, go to our homepage, Carolina-disability.com.

Please don't take anything on this site as legal advice! Nor should you take any action, or fail to take any action, based on any communication provided through this site. Before doing that, it would be wise to sit down and talk to an attorney in his or her office. Please also see our disclaimer at this link: Disclaimer. We want to be as helpful as we can be on a website; please thank us by doing this.